Saturday, April 23, 2011

Thursday, April 21- Filipinos in Three

If you are ever planning a trip to the Philippines, or you just wonder about the people here, these are the three words that I can give you that best describe the Filipino people.
1)      Shy
It is *shocking* how shy Filipinos are; and how self-proclaimed their shyness is.  After living with this group of <50 Filipinos for three months, many of them are still painfully nervous when I strike up a conversation with them.  If they happen to not know an English word to use or worse if they use the wrong word, the laugh and cover their face with their hands and crumple up into a ball.  For some of them all I have to do is look at them and smile and I can get the same reaction.  One of the kids brings a notebook with him when we do a film showing so he can jot down the English words that he doesn’t know and look them up later, which I think is great.  I asked to see the book after our last movie and he fought to keep it away from me and then asked if he could cross off some of the words first.  He said he was “ashamed.” That word along with “shy”, “embarrassed”, “humiliated” and “uncomfortable” are used all the time by Filipinos to describe how they feel when talking to someone they don’t know (or someone they’ve been living with for a quarter of the year.)
2)      Curious
Despite being painfully shy, Filipinos may brave being in a situation they are uncomfortable with if there is something shiny there.  That may sound like an exaggeration but one of the kids even said, “We Filipinos get very curious when there is noise or lights and we have to go there.”  This has worked in BTEA’s favor over the years when they draw a crowd by showing a film and then share the gospel.  On a smaller level, the moment that I bring my computer out of my room it is like a swarm of bees attacks me.  Within a few minutes I have to motion away the spectators just so I can breathe again.  Even if the only thing on my computer is a word document or a playlist of songs, they are drawn to it like a moth to a flame.  Even if nothing electronic is involved, they hate being out of the know.  Several times I and others have attempted to set up a surprise in the dining hall which is the only room that you can actually close off.  However, the kids will put sticks through the windows to try and pry the wooden slats open or will goes as far as to keep a few at the front door to distract us while a couple go around the back.  It is quite frustrating when all you want is to surprise them.

3)      Hospitable.
Though their terrified curiosity can get old, I cannot take away the truly kind spirits and intentions of the Filipinos.  It’s almost impossible to enter a room without being asked “what can I do for you?”  A simple question like, “Where is the peanut butter” will often result in an offer of peanut butter, honey, 12 kinds of jam, mayonnaise, mustard and banana ketchup (yes, I said banana ketchup).  Anytime that I give any hints of being tired I am immediately begged to go take my rest.  When I inform the cook that she is spoiling me too much she just answers, “I just love you.”  I don’t like being treated like a princess, but I know that their hearts truly want to serve.
Well, there you go.  I give you, the Filipinos.
Ciao.

1 comment: