Thursday, April 7, 2011

Monday, April 4- Graduation!!

Today was the recognition ceremonies for grades 1-6 and the high school graduation.  Today was also the hottest day we’ve had since I’ve arrived; those of you who have been here know that the combination of these two things are definitely not ideal.  
Filipinos are nothing if not COMPLETELY formal when it comes to events like the previously documented prom experience and today’s graduation.  The chairs may be plastic, the floor may be dirt and the colors may not match, but there will not be one word unspoken or one traditional element left out that they believe is necessary to have a successful and FORMAL event. 
The ceremony started out with the students and their parents “marching” in together.  Now you may recall that I am at an orphanage, so the whole parent situation had to be remedied by the staff.  Apparently they did not actually count how many staff needed to attend, so I became a parent.  I even got a ribbon that said ‘PARENT’ (that is some of the ‘formal’ stuff I’m talking about).  After we marched in I sat down next to Tatay where I stayed for the next 2 hours.  Other odd ceremonial things took place like the Girl Scouts presenting the colors and a very emphatic, good ‘ole catholic prayer.  The TIC (teacher in charge) and some guy from the district got up there and one presented to the other “39 girls and 45 boys for a total of 84 students eligible for graduation from Lamsugod National High School” and the other accepted “39 girls and 45 boys for a total of 84 students eligible for graduation from Lamsugod National High School.”  Later they found some reason to repeat that phrase 2 more times.  As opposed to American graduations, the graduates walked the stage and got their diplomas and moved their tassels close to the beginning of the ceremony, before all of the speeches and special awards.  The students, when their name was called, made their way across the stage to accept their diploma, shake some hands and then had to go to the front and center of the stage and hold their little diplomas (scrolls) and bow to the crowd.  Again, somehow this sort of formality is seen as necessary.  Anyway, then the special awards were given out and of the top ten students, the 3rd, 6th, 8th and 10th honors where given to graduates from Uncle Dick’s Home; this is a sharp bunch of kids that just graduated.  Richard (3rd) was also given 7 other medals for various honors.  Last week when they had a separate ceremony honoring all of the high school students I was one of the “imposers” of the ribbons and medals.  I can’t for the life of me understand why this word is used in this manner, but whenever they announced an award recipient they would say, “His/her medal will be imposed by his/her mother/father/uncle etc.”  It gives the idea that the students are trying to reject their awards.  Anyway, so I just went up with Richard and Romie and put a medal around their necks.  However, I flat out refused to do this for the graduation.  When we were alphabetically about five students away from one of our students, Gina (the bookkeeper) turned around and said, “You will be the one…” and I cut her off with a firm, “hindi!”, (no).  I know when they are trying to get me to do something that I really shouldn’t be when they start with, “You will be the one.”  Plus, it was just silly because the lady reading the names and imposers already had one of the staff listed to “be the one.”  When they make me do these things ALL of the attention and whatever else is put on me and not only am I tired of always being stared at, but this day was also to honor these kids and I refuse to take any of that away from them.   I really hate that they always try to treat me like some honored guest.   At last week’s ceremony they had a meal afterwards (full of nothing I can/want to eat) and the TIC kicked someone out of their chair at the teachers table to have me come and sit there, away from the only people that I knew.  I also refused that and let the poor man have his seat back.  It’s just exhausting!  Every time I wander into the kitchen I immediately have two or more people asking what they can do for me or what I need or what I’m looking for.  I just want to scream, “RELAX!”  I have been here for two months; I know where the peanut butter is. 
Anyway, back to the graduation.  After the awards the Valedictorian and the Salutatorian gave their speeches, both in Ilonggo and both of the girls ending up in tears.  Richard then got up and led the school in an “Oath to the Alma Mater.”  He finished and the guest speaker was introduced.  Being a guest speaker is apparently a huge honor in this country.  She graduated college in 1982 and yet they felt compelled to tell us that she graduated elementary school with honors.  Not to bash that, but KB graduated kindergarten with honors a few weeks ago and he cannot read a single word; just putting that in perspective.  So anyway she got up and was apparently not too inspirational or moving because few people were paying any attention; that is really a cultural thing though.  However, and they did this with the guest speaker from prom as well, as soon as she was done speaking (and she was also crying) they presented her with (and read aloud the full contents of) a certificate of honor for being their guest speaker.  It’s just odd.
The event came to a close and after a little schmoozing and socializing we walked home.  I was a complete mess upon arriving home, as it was ridiculously hot and humid, and we was welcomed with a brown out  which meant my fan had no power and there was no water. 
So, that was today.  The 4th year students have a vacation to visit family and will be back in a few days.  Stay tuned—more fun events to come!

This is dedicated to Joseph (you get a lot of these).  This ceremony actually made me excited about attending your air conditioned graduation soon after I get home.

Brindy

Richard

2 comments:

  1. I bet that was such a special day for the kids! And Bekah, I know you don't want the lime light, but I bet the kids would feel special having you ("an honored American")be their special guest. It would make them feel important having a "unique" guardian... I hope the temperature has calmed down a bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagaine! Well, actually I think I have a pretty good idea of what this was like :)

    ReplyDelete