Thursday, July 28, 2011

Night sky, free concerts and the first of the family.

On our last night with the Setterfields, Barry took us to an observatory to show us some incredible things you can't see with the naked eye (a phrase my younger brothers found quite humorous).  We started out with Saturn which was really incredible.  Then Barry pointed to a star (the curve of the handle in the big dipper) and showed us that what we see as one star is actually five stars.  The stars are as far apart from each other as we are from Saturn and yet we see them virtually overlapping.  Another star he pointed out when brought in close showed to be a galaxy containing millions of stars.  How unbelievably baffling it all is.  I found myself feeling quite petty as I had spent much of the day wondering, wishing, worrying about things that, at least now, our not in my control and I was lost as to how any of it could be fixed without me.  I serve the God that created the brilliance of the night sky with His words.  I wish I could give Him the trust He deserves.

The next day we headed north yet again and ended up in Roseburg, Oregon to stay with my uncle Rob and aunt Nancy and her mother (whom we all call Grandma Driver) and my lone single uncle Steve.  Rob and Nance have 6 boys and it is SO fun getting to spend some time with my cousins.  They are missionaries in Africa and only get to come here on furlough, so staying with them is a real treat.  Our very first night here, my cousin Robert told me there was a free concert in the park and asked if I'd be interested.  I agreed and asked who was playing: Pink Martini! One of my very favorites. The timing was impeccable and it was a really great night.

Last night I got to very briefly Skype with some friends from my college group; it was a poor connection and hard to hear but WONDERFUL to see them! I am truly blessed by my friends and the people that I go through life with.  I can't wait to see them again.

Well it is now 11am on Thursday and we are packing up and getting ready to head to Portland (finally!).  We will be seeing my grandma and more aunts and uncles and Sarah and Jonathan who flew into Portland last night.  We will be there for a few days and then Monday we head to the (chillllly) coast for the actual reunion.  I look forward to the next week and seeing what surprises God has in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment