Sunday, July 31, 2011

Color my world.

Another day, another hike!

Sarah, Jono, Ben and I left the house around 8:30am and headed for Saddle Mountain; a 2 hour drive and then a rather steep 2.5 mile hike to the top.  This trek was longer and much more difficult than yesterday's.  Many times the path would become very narrow and was also quite overgrown so it was hard to see were your next step would take you.  Much of the path was also very steep; the first 2.25 miles was ok, but that last quarter mile was killer at around a 60 degree incline.  What we saw on the way and at the destination made the pain, the blisters, the sweat very worth it.  From the top we had a pretty clear view of Mt. Ranier, Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood.  We ventured out to some more dangerous spots at the top and then headed back for the almost more difficult journey back.  Keeping yourself steady while going down the rock, gravel and dirt we had just gone up was much harder than I'd anticipated.  We all got separated returning to base as Ben shot on ahead and Sarah and Jono lolly-gagged behind, so I had a good half an hour of time to (while keeping myself alive) enjoy the nature around me and talk to the creator of it all.  It's so easy to be in awe of our Father when you are on a mountain and you come to a clearing where you can see miles in every direction and beauty is spilling over the hills.  It seems simple to trust Him with your life, you problems, your fears when you see how small you really are compared to his masterful creation; why can't it be so easy now that I'm sitting on the couch? This trip has felt like God's plan to unfold everything He is capable of and put it right at my feet.  It's like He's saying, "Look, Bekah! Look at this! I made this, I control this; why won't you let go of your fears and desires and give them to me?" I wish I had an answer.  All I know is that I am trying.

Today ended with one of my favorite joys of the Congdon family: music.  My dad and his siblings were all raised musicians.  From piano to violin to cello to oboe to clarinet to flute, most of the siblings play at least one instrument.  When they get together we get to hear a piece of heaven.  We are staying at my uncle John's house and he is a master cellist.  My dad was on the piano and John was on the cello and we spent the better part of an hour playing hymn karaoke; shouting out hymns and praise songs, singing and basking in the beauty of the music.  I sometimes forget that not everyone grows up with music.  My brother-in-law had never heard a cello before; he was very impressed.

Pictures. AND a video (don't hold your breath).

Photo op.



 Our reward at the top :)


Look at all the danger!




Ben Congdon photo credits:
At the bottom.
 Treeeeeees.




 At the top!





Music. I apologize deeply for the vocals at the end of this video.  An alto shouldn't sing in this key-- but I wanted you to hear the beautiful music.

No comments:

Post a Comment