Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sore feet, cold hands... children's books!

I'm writing this tonight while the memory of the last couple hours is fresh.  I want to make sure you get the most dramatic adjectives.

I went back to the city this weekend.  After a week out here in Downers Grove, it was hard to leave my beautiful bed and the spacious house-- but it is always a joy to spend any time with Blythe.  I arrived on the train Friday evening to find no Blythe, however.  She told me that she would meet me at the Western stop.  However, we were unaware that there were two Westerns.  I was dropped off significantly further south than we had anticipated and also significantly further south than I (or anyone) should be alone after daylight.  So, that started things out interestingly to say the least.  Luckily I was able to find a street marker and Blythe tapped into her inner Wonder Woman and biked an extensive distance to find me.  We then got on the bus, forfeited our plans to go out with some friends and went back to her apartment where we made pizza and chocolate mug cakes; using a recipe that needs severe alterations.  Overall, we salvaged the evening.

Saturday was a beautiful day but we spent most of it in doors.  Blythe worked on a paper, I read, and then we walked down to the grocery store to get supplies for the most delicious chip dip ever.  That night we searched Netflix for a movie we hadn't seen and both landed on Memento.  I'd wanted to see it for so long; and wow.  It was trippy.  So, so good; really bizarre.  Also, part of me just wants to have an affair with Christopher Nolan; the really, really, really smart part of me; it's in there.

This morning I went to a church I had read about just to see how it was.  Afterwards Blythe, Eric and I went down to the farmers market, window shopped, drank coffee... had an overall lovely city day.  We went to a children's toy and book store.  I could have been happy there for days.  It made me dangerously desirous for a child.  Please pray that I get a nanny position soon. :)

It was the kind of day that couldn't be spoiled by anything.......

I missed my train due to a stupid mistake (that is blamed on the part of my brain that couldn't even speak to Christopher Nolan) and as it is the weekend the trains going out to Downers Grove only run every two hours.  Thanks to Blythe I coordinated getting on the northbound train to Union Station so I wasn't stuck waiting at Western, and was able to sit indoors for the duration of the two hour wait.  I know that this was an easy mistake to make and as I am incredibly new at all of this it shouldn't make me feel that bad; so I'm instead trying to just be grateful that I am now back at my current temporary residence, showered and going to bed.

As I was waiting for the train I couldn't help but think how great it would be to have a friend with me. Like Janey. Or Kate. Or Ben, Miranda, Julian, Meghann, Ariana, Lauren, Harrison, Becca, Jen or Andrew. Or my mom or dad. Or any of my siblings. Or Georgy Porgy!

Thinking about this made me feel really blessed though.  I know what gifts you all are.  I can't wait to see you again.  Truly.

1 comment:

  1. Memento's fantastic. I think the smart side in all of us wants to hang out with Chris Nolan. If I could even shake his hand, maybe some of his brilliance would osmosisize itself into me. I'm glad to hear you're settling in okay. And having fun, too! Life wouldn't really be living if it weren't for the adventures (if that makes any sense). :)

    ReplyDelete